Unity needed to rebuild Aberdeen's reputation
29/05/08 15:58 Filed in: Granite Chips
The Accounts Commission report into the financial state of Aberdeen City Council
is yet another blow to Aberdeen City and Shire's reputation, coming, as it does, hot on the heels of the Trump debacle.
The report is critical of the council, highlighting:
- lack of effective leadership in education and social work
- poor scrutiny of dealings by councillors
- low staff morale
- and overspending on budget.
That is a very sorry state of affairs for a council that aspired to be "one of the leading councils in northern Europe".
We have a tendency in this country to "glory" in other's failings. So, there may be a temptation for us all to stand around wringing our hands picking over the details of what has happened in the past few months.
That would be a total waste of time and effort and only serve to underline the failings.
Let's focus on what needs to be done in any crisis:
- We need to formulate a recovery plan
- We need to get everyone united behind it
- Then we need strong leadership with the vision and the drive to implement it.